Tuesday, November 10, 2009

80) Sold under sin

Romans 7:14-15 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. (15) For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.

Since Paul in verses 4 & 6 has stated that believers have died to the law and have been released from the law that held them captive, he is obviously still alluding to a time before conversion and before serving in the new way of the Spirit in this passage. He states that he was of the flesh with a heart of flesh and a sinful nature that had total control of his actions. Though being a zealous law keeping Jew, he did not understand his actions and could not obey the law of God. Just like the bad tree that couldn’t produce good fruit, Paul’s heart of flesh couldn’t produce obedience to the law. He was still trying to serve in the old way of the written code and had not yet been set free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death [Rom. 8:2].

Focus on Christ #80

No comments: