Friday, November 13, 2009

83) Unbelievers serve the sinful nature

Romans 7:19-20 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. (20) Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

Here in verses 19 and 20 Paul continues to repeat the same theme of being a slave to sin and the flesh. How can people who continually sin by doing evil have already been saved by grace? They can’t because once they are saved by grace they have been set free from sin and are able to bear fruit for God! Can a person saved by grace not have the ability to do the good they want? No! Once a person is saved they can do the good they want although not perfectly [Romans 7:4]. Therefore, Paul is not talking about someone saved by grace. He is talking about himself when he was unsaved and trying unsuccessfully to keep the law.

Focus on Christ #83

No comments: