Wednesday, November 11, 2009

81) The sinful nature controls unbelievers

Romans 7:16-17 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. (17) So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me.

Paul is talking about keeping the law in verses 14-17. Since Paul made it clear in Romans 6 through Romans 7:1-6 that believers have been set free from the law and serve in the new way of grace through the Spirit, he is obviously continuing his description in these verses of himself before his conversion. Although he agreed that the law is good, Paul was not able to keep the law because of his sinful nature that made him a slave to sin. Being a slave to sin is a condition of all human beings before they are born again through grace and the Spirit [Rom. 6:17-23].


Focus on Christ #81

No comments: